TI CC3200 Launchpad – Quick Guide
Out Of the Box feeling
OOB application is very nice, you can connect to the AP without security and then you go to the 192.168.1.1 (or http://mysimplelink.net , as indicated by TI, if you think that’s shorter…). Here answers a small webserver that serves some (uncompressed) html files that are a frontend to the configuration settings and also some nice demo programs and documentation.
Uniflash Simplelink: The flashing tool for the CC3200 http://www.ti.com/tool/uniflash
Jumper on SOP pins.
Uniflash wiki UG: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/CC31xx_%26_CC32xx_UniFlash
The CC3200 SDK + Service pack can be downloaded from here: http://www.ti.com/tool/cc3200sdk
Some IoT provider, I chose Exosite. Step by step account and usage documentation: https://support.exosite.com/hc/en-us/articles/202271424–CC3200-Wi-Fi-Launchpad
Create a TI Exosite account https://ti.exosite.com
Add the device mac to the Exosite Dashboard
Flash the Exosite firmware on the CC3200 Launchpad
- Profiles won’t be saved if the WPA2 key is too long. Even in OOB Fw.
- Flashing without format won’t work.
- Formatting various sizes (1MB, 2MB, 4MB, 8MB, 16MB from Format Options window that comes after you push Format button) leads to strange results, my CC3200 Launchpad has responded well only on 4MB. Even the OOB was unable to restore the board without reformatting to 4MB.
- I noticed that sometimes the CC3200LP communication enters in a strange mode, appearing offline to Exosite and the Dashboard is showing up some negative temperatures. The LP responds to ping, the uptime displayed by the http server is ok. Only a power cycle reset solves it…
- Select COM port, put jumper on SOP pins, verify using Get Version (
Reset push-button required).
- Formatted 4MB, nothing else checked.
- Apllied Service Pack Update.
- Flash the desired firmware.
- Remove SOP jumper. Put on the AP Jumper (VCC-P58)
- Connect to the AP without security
- Create a Profile with the local WiFi configuration (SSID, Key) and give it a index number. Save.
- Reset the board and wait the boot and connect sequence.
If you try to restore the OOB firmware, you get the original status by opening with Uniflash the out_of_box.ucf that comes in the CC3200SDK\cc3200-sdk\example\out_of_box\html folder.
Other useful links:
E2E TI Forum – CC3200 section: http://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/f/968.aspx
The public dashboard hosted on Exosite: https://ti.exosite.com/views/3194349686/3199082241
- The problem was due to a high current thing, and brings the CC+Exosite FW in the same boat with the Fluke 233 rev.1 @36mA in active mode…
- Preproduction Silicon doesn’t support SDK > 1.1
- Exosite’s guide for those who want to switch from Portals to Murano https://community.exosite.com/t/how-to-use-murano-in-my-own-cc3200-board/316/2
- Connection issues are mainly because of the SOP (Sense On Power) Jumpers. Flashing/Programming can be done with 100 configuration, that means only one jumper, placed on position labeled 2.
- Using the programmed configuration will be done removing that SOP jumper
- Uniflash 4.0 can’t be used for CC3200, use instead the old 3.4.x version
- The COM Port speed setting: 921600
- Comment on U.S. Clings to Semiconductor Dominance as China Mounts Challenge by ubm112211 July 13, 2020In reply to IanD. usa seems , large amount of talents are in the software/internet corps. which left little can spare for semi dev. so even if US put some major investment in semis, it will end up with indian engs getting the benefit. that's one reason behind
- Comment on U.S. Clings to Semiconductor Dominance as China Mounts Challenge by ubm112211 July 13, 2020In reply to ubm112211. china is still in the process of getting it's 1st nand chip PRQed in year of 2020. nand was invented in 1991. which is a reflection of the efficiency of chinese system.
- Comment on U.S. Clings to Semiconductor Dominance as China Mounts Challenge by ubm112211 July 13, 2020luckily , the money spent by chinese , large amount of it getting wasted, by its in efficient system, lack of democracy , bureaucracy . so non of the system is perfect, just play to it's advantage. everyone got pressure though, no easy money in this world in the end.