OpenHAB + BeagleBone + Debian
Due to the new debian images and new openhab versions, some users had problems with the whole procedure:
The main changes are:
- After SD creation, the BB takes some minutes for the first boot. Wait until you can see the browser page (see router for DHCP assigned IP Address).
- At the first ssh login cahnge the password for both root and debian users
- The partition (there is only one, mmcblk0) is 3.3GB. Using the fdisk default options you screw things up because the starting point is 8192.
- Use resize2fs only after rebooting.
- Install java (now is oracle-java9-install)
- Install openhab
- Make another account at myopenhab.org
I will make another post with the new versions for all this stuff if needed.
OpenHAB setup on a Debian powered BeagleBone (white)
OpenHAB is simply great!
Create the microSD:
Resize the partition (the image is with a 1.6GB, I use a 8GB microSD):
# show partitions
# delete the 1.6G partition (p2)
# and create a new one from the same starting point to the end of the disk
# you may now reboot for verification purposes
Then you should update and upgrade. I prefer apt-get but aptitude is available.
Next step: make things confortable – mc and configure it with internal viewer and editor (mcedit), nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , install ntpd, samba, telnet…. change the hostname in /etc/hostname
Install Java packages:
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
# adds a java deb repo
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
# adds a java deb-src repo
apt-key adv –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-keys EEA14886
# install the key
# reads the repo and updates the local db
apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
# installs the java7.
# it also brings up a License Agreement
Now the fun part!
OpenHAB has a deb repo! I tried hard with the basic .zip files, but with the repo all is faster and better.
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list
apt-get install openhab-runtime
apt-get install openhab-addon-action-twitter openhab-addon-action-mail openhab-io-gpio
apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-onewire openhab-addon-binding-gpio
apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-http openhab-addon-binding-ntp
apt-get install openhab-addon-persistence-exec openhab-addon-persistence-logging
apt-get install openhab-addon-persistence-rrd4j
apt-get install openhab-addon-action-twitter
# Change the OpenHAB’s webserver port in /etc/default/openhab
# You may start now the openhab service
# Now is all installed and running.
# In order to see the demo: get the demo zip file and unzip it.
# Copy the /configurations content over the one in /etc/openhab/configurations
The OpenHAB + BeagleBone address is: http://beaglebone_ip_address_here:8888/openhab.app?sitemap=demo
The OpenHAB Hardware FAQ: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Hardware-FAQ
EnOcean Binding: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/EnOcean-Binding
Round Robin DB Persistence Module: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/rrd4j-Persistence
Later edit: OpenHAB addons folder is /usr/share/openhab/addons
- Trust Technology, But Verify August 20, 2018Tech companies own many technological levers capable of dividing society. Who are we to trust them developing tech for good?
- Computer Ethics Get an Update August 20, 2018In response to significant changes in computing in the last 25 years, the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) has updated its Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
- AI Startup Hires Two Tesla EEs August 20, 2018Esperanto hired two Tesla Autopilot engineers, it said at Hot Chips where Arm, Tachyum, Xilinx and others will describe new machine-learning chips.