OpenHAB + BeagleBone + Debian
Due to the new debian images and new openhab versions, some users had problems with the whole procedure:
The main changes are:
- After SD creation, the BB takes some minutes for the first boot. Wait until you can see the browser page (see router for DHCP assigned IP Address).
- At the first ssh login cahnge the password for both root and debian users
- The partition (there is only one, mmcblk0) is 3.3GB. Using the fdisk default options you screw things up because the starting point is 8192.
- Use resize2fs only after rebooting.
- Install java (now is oracle-java9-install)
- Install openhab
- Make another account at myopenhab.org
I will make another post with the new versions for all this stuff if needed.
OpenHAB setup on a Debian powered BeagleBone (white)
OpenHAB is simply great!
Create the microSD:
Resize the partition (the image is with a 1.6GB, I use a 8GB microSD):
# show partitions
# delete the 1.6G partition (p2)
# and create a new one from the same starting point to the end of the disk
# you may now reboot for verification purposes
Then you should update and upgrade. I prefer apt-get but aptitude is available.
Next step: make things confortable – mc and configure it with internal viewer and editor (mcedit), nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , install ntpd, samba, telnet…. change the hostname in /etc/hostname
Install Java packages:
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
# adds a java deb repo
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
# adds a java deb-src repo
apt-key adv –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-keys EEA14886
# install the key
# reads the repo and updates the local db
apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
# installs the java7.
# it also brings up a License Agreement
Now the fun part!
OpenHAB has a deb repo! I tried hard with the basic .zip files, but with the repo all is faster and better.
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list
echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list
apt-get install openhab-runtime
apt-get install openhab-addon-action-twitter openhab-addon-action-mail openhab-io-gpio
apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-onewire openhab-addon-binding-gpio
apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-http openhab-addon-binding-ntp
apt-get install openhab-addon-persistence-exec openhab-addon-persistence-logging
apt-get install openhab-addon-persistence-rrd4j
apt-get install openhab-addon-action-twitter
# Change the OpenHAB’s webserver port in /etc/default/openhab
# You may start now the openhab service
# Now is all installed and running.
# In order to see the demo: get the demo zip file and unzip it.
# Copy the /configurations content over the one in /etc/openhab/configurations
The OpenHAB + BeagleBone address is: http://beaglebone_ip_address_here:8888/openhab.app?sitemap=demo
The OpenHAB Hardware FAQ: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Hardware-FAQ
EnOcean Binding: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/EnOcean-Binding
Round Robin DB Persistence Module: https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/rrd4j-Persistence
Later edit: OpenHAB addons folder is /usr/share/openhab/addons
- Friday Fun: Identify These RF Connector Chess Pieces June 22, 2018
- Vint Cerf Gives Rx for IoT June 22, 2018Engineers need to upgrade the quality, security and interoperability of software for the Internet of Things, said Vint Cerf, co-developer of the Internet Protocol.
- China is Home to 9 of Top 12 Smartphone Vendors June 22, 2018Samsung and Apple continue to dominant the smartphone market, but behind them stand several Chinese brands mounting a challenge to their market share.